Baptism of the Spirit
Have You Received the in-filling of the Holy Spirit Since You Believed?
Have You Received the Holy Spirit Since You Believed?
A series by Calvin Bergsma on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit
John The Baptist said in Matthew 3:11 "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."
Acts 1:8 "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come and you shall be witnesses of me in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."
This baptism of the Spirit is available to all believers. (In fact it's a command) (Ephesians 5:18)
- The intended purposes are to be powerful witnesses (Acts 1: 8)
- We also pointed out this baptism or infilling of the HS does not automatically take place at the time of conversion (though it can and should).
- It is important to make believers aware that is it is available and they can receive this experience simply by asking.
The first disciples waited 50 days in Jerusalem before they experienced their Pentecost.
- The Samaritans waited more than 50 days before they were told that it was available and they received this Baptism of power. (Acts 8:4-17)
- The Ephesians waiting even longer to experience this baptism (Acts 19:1-6)
- How long have you waited?
Just like them, ignorance of this baptism can rob believers of this experience.
- Have you had your Personal Pentecost (or are you still waiting for the promised power)?
- In the same way ignorance of what gifts are available (with this Baptism of the Holy Spirit) can also rob many from being used in them.
1 Corinthians 12:7-11 "Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the Word of wisdom, to another the word of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as He determines. "
A brief explanation of gifts of the Holy Spirit. All the 9 Spiritual gifts mentioned in this list are supernatural manifestations of the Holy Spirit; they are not our natural gifts or abilities.
- Word of wisdom: a momentary impartation of divine wisdom pertaining to the situation at hand.
- Word of knowledge: supernaturally been made aware of information that you did not known beforehand
- Gift of faith: a sudden elevation of your ability to believe God for something.
- Gifts of healing: a supernatural ability to bring healing many times by the laying on of hands
- Miraculous powers: the power to do miracles.
- Prophecy: to speak the immediate Word of the Lord.
- Discerning of spirits: the ability to see into the spiritual world and or be made supernaturally aware of spiritual beings and their intent.
- Tongues: speaking a language you have not learned by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Interpretation of tongues: a momentary ability to understand a language you did not learn or to give the interpretation of the message given tongues.
These are all amazing gifts & God encourages us to earnestly desire them.
1 Cor. 12:27-31 "Now you are Christ's body, and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues. All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they? All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? But earnestly desire the greater gifts. "